Monday, March 12, 2012

Lana Del Rey has taken over my life. She was another artist whose bandwagon I was not eager to hop on back in the fall. I had listened to the song "Born To Die" and was bored to tears. Well finally sometime in December I decided to download her EP because I wanted to give her a second chance, I was instantly mystified and enchanted. "Trash" and "Mermaid Motel" were my initial favorites and then I quickly added "Lolita" to that roster.

When her album finally dropped, I quickly became obsessed with it, and when I say that, I mean it should probably get a restraining order against me. I have been listening to this album non-stop since it came out. There is not one bad song on this album. It's got this hip-hop flavor that blends in with her bluesy voice so well. I don't know how she does it. She is not only gorgeous but she's incredibly talented as well. Certain live performances aside, I think she'll make a splash in this industry if she's marketed correctly.

My absolute favorite song from "Born To Die," is "This Is What Makes Us Girls." ABSOLUTE perfection. It reminds me of my friends and I in the summer of 2006, running around my hometown, hanging out with boys at the skate park, eating at Taco Bell every day, and getting into trouble. One of the best summers of my life. I sincerely hope Lana releases a video for this song and it gets a wide audience because this song is amazing.

Anyone who hasn't given Lana a chance, should. She's got a haunted way of singing, like she's literally reading the pages of her diary. She puts a lot of effort into seeming disinterested but you can hear the crack of emotions coming through. She's brilliant and I am a huge fan of hers. I hope she continues to make more music like this and never sell out. We have enough female sell-outs on the Billboard charts (I'm looking at you, Rihanna, Katy, and Nicki.)


This is what makes us girls
We all look for heaven and we put our love first
Don't ya know we'd die for it, it's our curse
Don't cry about it, don't cry about it
This is what makes us girls
We don't stick together 'cause we put our love first
Don't cry about him, don't cry about him
It's all gonna happen

No comments:

Post a Comment