Sunday, March 11, 2012

fun. "Some Nights": The revival of feel-good indie music



I am morally and profusely opposed to bandwagons. I guess it's the hipster in me. So when I first heard the buzz surrounding fun. and their single "We Are Young," (a song currently resting atop the Billboard Hot 100 over single powerhouses like Adele, Katy Perry, and Kelly Clarkson) I chose to ignore it. But then my boyfriend put the chorus as his ringtone and I was immediately enamored with it. So I went ahead and downloaded the album. I was pretty much blown away. This is definitely the best album of 2012 so far. From the opening of the album with "Some Nights" I was taken in by the almost-anthemic, yet campfire-esque feel to it. It's so fun yet meaningful and powerful. There's no one out there quite like this band. Of course "We Are Young" is absolutely brilliant with it's changing chords and twists and turns. The surprising, yet pleasing collab with Janelle MonĂ¡e is deeply satisfying. The song is reminiscent of a track that would play in an early 90s teen movie, during some character-defining scene going in slow motion. The next best track HAS to be "Carry On" which also has that teen-movie-anthem thing going on. This band kinda reminds me of a modern twist on The Beatles. (I hope that's not too blasphemous to say.) But that's how I feel. When I listen to The Beatles, I feel uplifted and optimistic and this is the only other band I feel the same way about. fun.'s music is by definition "uplifting." It's positive music and people just don't make that kind of music anymore. The radio airwaves are saturated with party music and sex and empty words. So I'm glad this guys are defying all norms and taking the #1 spot. Much like Foster the People did before them. Every single song on the album is beautiful and intricate and I love them. They're my newest obsession. I can't wait to see more from these guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment